Young Adult / Transition Service


At the RD&E, we use the term transition to describe the process of planning, preparing and moving from children’s health care to adult health care.

We help to empower and equip young people with the skills necessary to manage their own healthcare.

Transfer is an event that should occur at a time agreed by the adolescent and their parents, as well as by the paediatric and adult renal staff, during the transition process.

More on what we do

We aim to:

  • empower young people to understand their condition and treatment.
  • equip you with the skills to function independently (where possible) in adult services and make independent decisions about your care.
  • prepare you for your medical, psychosocial and vocational needs as you move into adult services.
  • help support your engagement with your medical care moving forward.
  • give your parents and carers confidence that you have the support you need to manage your medical care after transfer.
  • recognise the continuing importance of family support in the early stages of transfer.


Young people with chronic kidney disease (CKD) categories G3-G5 will be under joint care between local (Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, RD&E) and regional (Bristol Children’s Hospital, BCH) paediatric nephrology services.

These patients will usually be transferred to young adult services at the RD&E. Young people with stable CKD categories G1-G2 can be followed in primary care with advice to refer to adult nephrology, if there is evidence of progressive kidney damage and/ or hypertension or proteinuria.

Those children with CKD who also have problems with their bladder will be under joint management with a paediatric urologist. Many bladder problems will also need to be followed up in the long term. These patients will be referred locally to adult urology services.

Our team

Renal Young Adult / Transition Nurse Worker

Where to find us

RD&E Wonford, Barrack Rd, Exeter EX2 5DW

Renal Unit Exeter, Ground Floor Room S44

Contact us

Landline: 01392 406062

Mobile: 07769 367064

Supporting you

Psychology services are available by referral to our clinical psychologist or Talkworks, a local counselling service.


Our site uses cookies to help give you a better experience. By continuing to use it you consent to the use of cookies as set out in our privacy policy.