Minor Injuries Units (MIUs)
Our minor injuries unit is here to help if your medical problem is not critical or life-threatening.
The unit is staffed by highly-qualified nurse practitioners who can deal with a wide range of injuries, from burns to broken bones.
You do not need an appointment to attend the minor injuries unit and there is no need to call us before coming in.
Our minor injuries unit is based at Honiton Community Hospital.
There are five other MIUs across East Devon:
- Exmouth Community Hospital
- Tiverton and District Hospital
- Beacon Medical Centre in Sidmouth
- Okehampton Medical Centre
- Axminster Medical Practice
Choosing one of these minor injuries units for non-life-threatening conditions will ensure you receive the best possible treatment in the quickest time.
More on what we do
Minor injuries units are here to help you get the urgent care you need, while leaving our Emergency Department free to deal with the most serious cases.
Honiton Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) has access to X-ray facilities during the following times:
- Monday - 09:00 - 17:00
- Tuesday - 09:00 - 12:00
- Wednesday - 09:00 - 12:00
- Thursday - 13:30 - 16:30
- Friday - 09:00 - 17:00
There are no X-ray facilities at Honiton MIU on weekends and bank holidays, but they are available at Tiverton during the following times:
- Saturday - 14:00 - 18:00
- Sunday - 12:00 - 16:00
- Bank holidays - 12:00 - 16:00
When the X-ray facilities are closed, please still attend. Fractures can often be managed with an appointment for an X-ray later the same day or even on a different day.
Types of injuries treated at a MIU can include:
- small burns or scalds
- bites and stings
- sprains and certain fractures (X-ray facilities available at some MIU sites)
- minor head injuries
- infected wounds foreign bodies in eyes
- itchy rashes
- minor illnesses, such as sore throats
You don’t need an appointment and you’ll avoid a long wait in the Emergency Department.
MIUs cannot treat:
- chest pain
- respiratory problems
- abdominal pain
- women’s health problems
- pregnancy problems
- drug overdose
- alcohol related problems
- mental health problems
- health conditions that would normally be treated by your GP or hospital.
If you’re not sure which service is best for you, please visit NHS 111 online or phone 111 for guidance.
- Honiton Community Hospital, Marlpits Lane, Honiton, EX14 2DE
- Access the MIU via the main entrance of the hospital
Opening times: 08:00 - 20:00, 7 days a week - including bank holidays
- Call 01404 540540 for more information
- Exmouth Hospital, Claremont Grove, Exmouth, EX8 2JN
- Call 01395 279684 or visit the website for more information and opening times
Urgent Care Centre (Tiverton)
- Tiverton & District Hospital, Kennedy Way, Tiverton, EX16 6NT
- Call 01884 235400 or visit the website for more information and opening times
- The Beacon Medical Centre, Sedemuda Road, Sidmouth, EX10 9YA
- Call 01395 512601 or visit the website for more information and opening times
- Axminster Medical Practice, St Thomas Court, Church Street, Axminster, EX13 5AG
- Call 01297 32126 or visit the website for more information and opening times
- Okehampton Medical Centre, East Street, Okehampton, EX20 1AY
- Call 01837 52233 or visit the website for more information and opening times