We run a daily phototherapy service. It is used to treat a range of skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema.
Patients stand in a walk-in light cabinet lined with fluorescent light bulbs. The majority of patients attending phototherapy in our department are receiving Ultraviolet B (UVB) phototherapy. Ultraviolet B is present in natural sunlight.
Our phototherapy service is available from 7.15am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
More on what we do
The time spent in the cabinet depends on your skin condition and varies from person to person. Treatments are generally given 2-3 times a week for 12-16 weeks.
Treatments last up to 10 minutes, with the total visit taking up to half an hour. The total length of a treatment course will depend on your response and the specific skin condition being treated.
Further information about UVB treatment can be found here.
Sometimes the light treatment is combined with a special soak or bath, this is called Topical PUVA.
Oral PUVA is when a special tablet is taken prior to the light treatment. Find out more here.
- Dr Chris Bower
- Dr Yusur Al-Nuami
- Dr Rebecca Batchelor
- Dr Chris Bower
- Dr Carolyn Charman
- Dr Naomi Goldstraw
- Dr Tom Lucke
- Dr Emily McGrath
- Dr Yong Oon
- Dr Rachel Wachsmuth
- Dr Penelope Williams
- Dr Peter Acheson
- Dr Helen Frow
- Dr William Willcock
- Dr Charlotte Carmichael
- Dr Josephine Wheeler
- Dr Helen Creighton
- Dr James Wood
- Dr Andrew Rosewarne
- Dr Alistair Brown
- Dr Alice Walker
Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) Team
- Claire Facey – Lead CNS
- Jo Short
- Kate Allington
- Sarah Sandford
- Kevin Mitchell
Nursing Staff and Health Care Assistants (HCA)
- Clare Parkinson - Senior Surgical Nurse Practitioner
- Marian Thorn - Matron
- Hayley Thorn - Sister
- Chaya Sriranganatha - Sister
- Claire McKenna - Surgical Nurse Practitioner
- Hooi Inn Neoh-Solman - Surgical Nurse Practitioner
- Victoria Roderick - Surgical Nurse Practitioner
- Laura Warne - Sister
- Romina Abuzatoaiei - Staff Nurse
- Wasuru Dyke - Staff Nurse
- Patricia Garcia Arroyo - Staff Nurse
- Kim Hill - Staff Nurse
- Gillian Lacey - Staff Nurse
- Reynaldo Almazora - Senior HCA
- Myrna Base - Senior HCA
- Jayden Butler - Senior HCA
- Mandy Spinks - Senior HCA
- Jo Thompson - Senior HCA
- Amy Hunt - Senior HCA
- Michelle Murdoch - Senior HCA
- Bev Alford - HCA
- Wendy Davies - HCA
- Emily Hatch - HCA
- Fiona Lewis - HCA
- Gillian Tancock - HCA
Management and Admin team
- Roland Gulvin, Cluster Support Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org 07584 155 440
- Shirley Rickard, Admin Service Manager: email@example.com 01392 405 538
- Katy Watson, Team Lead & Waiting List Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org 01392 405 506
- Karen Hill, Team Lead & Waiting List Coordinator: email@example.com 01392 405 548
- Anne Jones, Team Lead & Medical Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org 01392 405 515
- Karen Baker, Team Lead & Medical Secretary: email@example.com 01392 405 512
- Joan Smith, Team Lead & Medical Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org 01392 405 513
Where to find us
RD&E Heavitree, Gladstone Rd, Exeter EX1 2ED
Department of Dermatology
If you want to get in touch with the department, please contact us on 01392 405510.
Patient leaflets and documents
Information for healthcare professionals
Skin treatment and referral guidance for healthcare providers can be found here.
We also offer a teledermatology service for advice and guidance for GPs (48 hour turnaround).
For urgent enquiries or referrals, we run an on call service via the hospital switchboard: 01392 411611
General enquiries to the department: 01392 405510