Non-cancer skin conditions
We provide new and follow-up care for adult patients with all types of skin conditions, including skin rashes, acne, eczema, psoriasis, and skin infections.
More on what we do
To assess your skin condition, the doctor or nurse will need to take a full history of the problem and a general medical history. We will usually need to examine more of your skin than just the area which seems to be affected, so it’s a good idea to wear comfortable clothes that are easy to move for this. A chaperone (someone who helps to support patients during investigations) is always available.
We carry out several diagnostic tests within the department, including blood tests, skin scrapings, skin biopsies, patch and prick tests.
We might refer you to the RD&E's Wonford site (0.5 miles away) if X-rays, medical photography or pharmacy services are needed.
We offer a full range of dermatology treatments, including more specialist treatments, such as:
- phototherapy, plus nurse-led skin treatment advice
- photodynamic therapy
- botulinum toxin for axillary hyperhidrosis
- iontophoresis for hand/ foot hyperhidrosis
- injection clinics for injectable treatments such as Omalizumab and Dupilimab.
- Dr Chris Bower
- Dr Yusur Al-Nuami
- Dr Rebecca Batchelor
- Dr Chris Bower
- Dr Carolyn Charman
- Dr Naomi Goldstraw
- Dr Tom Lucke
- Dr Emily McGrath
- Dr Yong Oon
- Dr Rachel Wachsmuth
- Dr Penelope Williams
- Dr Peter Acheson
- Dr Helen Frow
- Dr William Willcock
- Dr Charlotte Carmichael
- Dr Josephine Wheeler
- Dr Helen Creighton
- Dr James Wood
- Dr Andrew Rosewarne
- Dr Alistair Brown
- Dr Alice Walker
Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) Team
- Claire Facey – Lead CNS
- Jo Short
- Kate Allington
- Sarah Sandford
- Kevin Mitchell
Nursing Staff and Health Care Assistants (HCA)
- Clare Parkinson - Senior Surgical Nurse Practitioner
- Marian Thorn - Matron
- Hayley Thorn - Sister
- Chaya Sriranganatha - Sister
- Claire McKenna - Surgical Nurse Practitioner
- Hooi Inn Neoh-Solman - Surgical Nurse Practitioner
- Victoria Roderick - Surgical Nurse Practitioner
- Laura Warne - Sister
- Romina Abuzatoaiei - Staff Nurse
- Wasuru Dyke - Staff Nurse
- Patricia Garcia Arroyo - Staff Nurse
- Kim Hill - Staff Nurse
- Gillian Lacey - Staff Nurse
- Reynaldo Almazora - Senior HCA
- Myrna Base - Senior HCA
- Jayden Butler - Senior HCA
- Mandy Spinks - Senior HCA
- Jo Thompson - Senior HCA
- Amy Hunt - Senior HCA
- Michelle Murdoch - Senior HCA
- Bev Alford - HCA
- Wendy Davies - HCA
- Emily Hatch - HCA
- Fiona Lewis - HCA
- Gillian Tancock - HCA
Management and Admin team
- Roland Gulvin, Cluster Support Manager: email@example.com 07584 155 440
- Shirley Rickard, Admin Service Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org 01392 405 538
- Katy Watson, Team Lead & Waiting List Coordinator: email@example.com 01392 405 506
- Karen Hill, Team Lead & Waiting List Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org 01392 405 548
- Anne Jones, Team Lead & Medical Secretary: email@example.com 01392 405 515
- Karen Baker, Team Lead & Medical Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org 01392 405 512
- Joan Smith, Team Lead & Medical Secretary: email@example.com 01392 405 513
Where to find us
RD&E Heavitree, Gladstone Rd, Exeter EX1 2ED
Department of Dermatology
If you want to get in touch with the department, please contact us on 01392 405510.
Patient leaflets and documents
Specialist community dermatology services for the area are based at Tiverton, Exmouth, and Sidmouth. They can manage a wide range of dermatology conditions. The services are run by GPs who also work alongside us in the dermatology department at Heavitree.
We also run consultant led community services at Barnstaple, Tiverton and Axminster.
Skin conditions can have a huge impact on your social and psychological wellbeing. It is important to tell your GP or dermatology doctor about this during your consultation if it is relevant for you so that we can signpost you for further help in this regard.
Locally, we work with Talkworks: www.dpt.nhs.uk/locations/talkworks-depression-and-anxiety-service-exeter
There are also links to support groups and resources for many skin conditions at the following website: www.skinhealthinfo.org.uk
Information for healthcare professionals
Skin treatment and referral guidance for healthcare providers can be found here.
We also offer a teledermatology service for advice and guidance for GPs (48 hour turnaround).
For urgent enquiries or referrals, we run an on call service via the hospital switchboard: 01392 411611
General enquiries to the department: 01392 405510