Children and young people (paediatrics)
Our children's and young people's service (also called paediatrics) looks after babies, children and teenagers. Young people can choose to go to an adult ward if they prefer.
We have an experienced and friendly team of specialist children's doctors (paediatricians) nurses, therapists, healthcare assistants and other staff who provide care for our young patients and their families.
Whether you're coming to hospital for the first time or you are already a patient, we have lots of information about our services and what to expect below.
We are committed to providing the best care possible. In doing so, we aim to:
- Listen to and recognise the needs of each child and their family;
- Work together with our patients, their families and partner organisations;
- Provide welcoming child friendly spaces;
- Communicate openly and clearly;
- Encourage wellbeing, growth and play so every child can thrive, within their circumstances;
- Provide a smooth and supportive transition from child to adult care for young adults;
- Support research and innovation to continually improve healthcare for children and young people.
We work with specialists across the RD&E and in other organisations, including Child and Family Health Devon, Bristol Children's Hospital and Devon Children and Family Partnership.