Same Day Emergency Care
Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC) is the provision of same day care for emergency patients who would otherwise be admitted to hospital. Under this care model, patients presenting at hospital with relevant conditions can be rapidly assessed, diagnosed and treated without being admitted to a ward, and if clinically safe to do so, will go home the same day their care is provided.
More on what we do
The service is for patients arriving in hospital after being referred by their GP/ED and is felt that they need rapid medical assessment but can be managed safely as an outpatient.
Patients are assessed promptly on arrival and appropriate tests are arranged to help determine if a patient is suitable to be managed as an outpatient. A wide variety of conditions, including headaches, chest pain, infections, pulmonary embolus and diabetes can be diagnosed and treated in this way.
Patients will receive rapid medical assessment and treatment and, in most cases, will be sent home to recover. This helps to improve a patient's experience and avoid unnecessary admissions.
The unit offers a range of procedures and treatment to patients. The following is an example:
- Investigations e.g. CT scans, USS, x-rays, investigation results or repeat bloods. Most scans can be done the next day through Wynard.
- IV antibiotics and reviews.
- Wound reviews or dressings.
- Removal of drains or catheters.
- Administration of infusions e.g. Iron, IVIG.
- Education of patients for self-management at home.
- Ascitic drains, pleural taps, lumbar punctures and biopsies.
Where to find us
RD&E Wonford, Barrack Rd, Exeter EX2 5DW
Same Day Emergency Care, Medical Out-Patient Department, level 1, template D, RD&E Wonford, Barrack Rd, Exeter EX2 5DW.
Information for healthcare professionals
To make a referral to SDEC or speak to a member of the team, please ring the admissions coordinator via switchboard on 01392 411611.