Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre
For general enquiries, call our hospital switchboard on 01392 411611
Find us on Google Maps
The Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, also known as PEOC, is based at the Royal Devon and Exeter (Wonford) Hospital.
At the centre we diagnose, treat, correct and repair bones, joints, muscles, ligaments and the spine. We are proud of our international reputation for clinical excellence and innovation in this specialist field known as orthopaedics and rheumatology.
More about us
Patients come to PEOC for a range of treatments, including surgery on bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerves.
- Specialist emergency trauma care when someone has a serious injury or wound, usually from an accident; and
- Planned treatment for patients with medical conditions affecting their health and wellbeing.
Our services include:
- Hips - a comprehensive hip care service for adults of all ages, including routine and complex surgeries.
- Knees - all knee problems including sports, arthritis, revision surgery and complex lower limb trauma.
- Hand, wrist and elbow - an extensive range of hand, wrist and elbow treatments including physiotherapy and surgery
- Spinal - a comprehensive service to assess, diagnose and treat all conditions which affect the adult and child spine.
- Foot and ankle - all conditions, including routine and complex surgeries.
In the community:
We also provide excellent surgical and nursing care in community hospitals for patients of the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre at:
- Sidmouth Victoria Hospital where our consultant surgeons carry out shoulder, elbow and knee surgery. Their patients are able to return home the same day they have their operation.
- Tiverton & District Hospital where our surgeons perform ankle, foot and knee surgery. Their patients are able to return home the same day they have their operation.
Restrictions currently apply due to Coronavirus
Visit our COVID-19 pages for the latest information. Thank you for your understanding.
The Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre is located at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital at Barrack Road in Exeter, EX2 5DW.
Wonford hospital site
We are based within the main hospital building and have our own entrance a short walk from the main hospital entrance (including a small number of drop off spaces for cars).
The Wonford hospital site is easily accessible using public transport and other sustainable means of travel.
We are well served by local bus routes, from across Devon. A number of services stop at the hospital, whereas others require a connection with a local bus route from Exeter City Centre.
Both the main Exeter train stations, St Davids and Exeter Central, are around three miles from the hospital and are served by buses that travel directly to our site.
For help planning your journey and the latest timetables please visit the websites below:
We are based around one and a half miles from Exeter City centre and it takes approximately 30 minutes on foot.
Bike paths run throughout Exeter and the hospital site is easily accessible by bike. Bike parking is available across the site, particularly outside the main hospital entrance.
Park and Ride
There is a Park and Ride bus service from the Sowton Park and Ride site (EX2 5GL), which is situated just off the M5 (Junction 30) to the east of the city. See the map below.
The buses go directly to the RD&E Wonford site, stopping at the Peninsula Medical School (RILD), the Hospital's main entrance, and the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre (PEOC). The buses also stop at the Digby Park and Ride site, which is for RD&E staff only.
The Park and Ride is one of the most cost-effective forms of transport, with an adult return costing £2 (£1.50 single) and a child return costing £1 (80p single).
A return ticket is only £1.50 for all English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) pass holders.
Car parking onsite is limited, with a number of paid car parks. We encourage visitors to use public transport and other sustainable means of travel whenever possible.
Under section 7 of the Health and Medicines Act 1988 Hospitals were permitted and encouraged to introduce Income Generation schemes, to fund their services.
The current charges for the RD&E on site parking at Wonford are as follows:
- 20 Minutes free parking
- £2.50 for up to two hours
- £4.50 for up to four hours
- £8.50 for all eight hours
- £26.00 for a weekly ticket
The RD&E Trust has provided free parking for patients attending the Wonford and Heavitree sites for regular treatment, for a number of years. The main, although not exclusive, areas that we currently provide free parking for are:
- Cancer Services
- Renal Dialysis
- Paediatric Oncology
- Neonatal Unit
- Disabled badge holders
In addition, free parking is given to parents who are resident at the hospital as a result of their children being inpatients or who have individual requirements warranting special consideration.
The centre has a small cafe and seating area.
The main Wonford hospital facilities, including a restaurant, coffee bar and other cafes are in easy reach.
We regret that catering outlets at the RD&E are currently closed to the public
To protect patients and staff during the Coronavirus outbreak, we have closed all catering outlets at the RD&E, including the Oasis canteen, to patients and visitors for the time being. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
A takeaway service is available from the Savours Café.
For general enquiries, please call our main hospital switchboard on 01392 411611, available 24 hours a day.